Saturday, January 7, 2012

I should really listen to my own advice...

Not too long ago I wrote a blog article for Julian's blog Every Second Counts. He has yet to publish it but it was about overtraining and being stubborn and not listening to what your body is telling you. Lately, my shoulder has been telling me that it's not happy, especially on my snatch work. I have been constantly missing at loads that I haven't had issues with in 5-6 months. So what does this mean for me?? I can tell you what I think it means and what I am afraid of.

I am afraid of failure...

I am afraid of not succeeding after working so hard for so long...

I am afraid of hitting that point of not improving and beginning to regress...

These are what I am afraid of. However, I can not let me fears affect my performance. Taking a few days off WILL NOT have adverse effects on my training. In fact, it will more than likely have many positive ones. Yet, why am I still afraid of a prolonged rest period even when I know it's the best thing for me? I am not really sure actually. If you have an answer for me, please, enlighten not only me but everyone else who is in my same situation. I need to look at the more positive side of this. Things happen for a reason, whether we like it or not. I just need to learn to roll with the tide, and play the hand that I was dealt. 

6 comments:

  1. Hello friend,

    *regress not digress. Digressing is a term relative to speech, you are attempting to connote that recovery time is going to cause you to regress. Master the English language, I am a foreign national and have done so.

    Relative to your other discourse, if you are actually in this for the long run, recovery is more important than many of you think. The pervasive train of thought among many in the crossfit circles is that of constant competition, and thus constant work and less rest (a rat race if you will), can result in over training. This is why many of you get injured so frequently. Rest and recovery coupled with TRUE endurance, not what which passes for it in the CF circles, will reduce chances of injury and possibly boost your times.

    Hope this helps.

    Ndekwe

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's your definition of TRUE endurance?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "TRUE" endurance is defined as when the activity is greater than 90 minutes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Michaelson, it certainly seems overtraining is the issue at hand. Increasing the ratio of rest - workout days is a great first step. Another excellent method to break out of the plateau is to totally change the activities you are doing. As Ndeweke mentioned, some real endurance events will help you greatly in both body and mind. Go for a 3 or 5 hour trail run up the biggest mountain you can find. Ride you bike for a similar duration. Deepen your focus and let your mind wander for a prolonged period. You will see improvements when you return to the barbell. Best, Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. Selassie,

    Great advice. I often find myself on five hour bike rides, albeit they're not on a mountain. I commute to work (2 1/2 to, 2 1/2 from.) It's definitely mentally stimulating as there are tired drivers not minding the bike lane. It's rough, but I'm able to keep $150 a month in my pocket from gas expenses--and also get to listen to my favorite podcasts! Brilliant!

    Mr. Umeniora,

    Would you be a Kenyan national, by chance? I once visited Kenya, beautiful country.

    ReplyDelete